The Rumbler

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

123456789 987654321

Backwards and forwards, the touchpads are miscommunicating to my brain.

Thes numbers begin at the bottom with "1" and work upward to "9"

Yet in contrast, the telephone goes from top "1" and end with "9"
The joy of a comptometer operator (back office calculations operator) is when your fingers are free from sight, meaning you can type numbers without looking at each button that your finger presses. This means rapididity, a freedom from mind and body.
The difficulty for me is when I am done counting millions of dollars I then need to use the phone. I transfer this same skill of non-looking and dial an incorrect number.
The example of horror was when I just made a bunch of phone calls and then went to type some numbers on the computer, the number "377 . . . .", when I finished and looked up I had actually typed "911 . . . " -- you can imagine the surprise and relief that the commputer did not do as I had commanded.
The Reason for the difference, as I am able to project, is that it must be easier to make phone calls by counting down and it is easier to type and count numbers by typing up.
I just wish they both would go up to "11".

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On number pads, I couldn't agree more.
Why must they be different?

10:35 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

zzzzz OH REALLY!?? So...I have to find out you have a blog through smack talk!
All I have to say is "zzzzz" Don't talk trash about me on my best friends blog... or else... Goldie and Amber will declare a blog war on you...and... We'll put a boot in your A..

12:51 PM  
Blogger 3703 said...

MWSBF Amber, please center your comments around the importance of calculators and phone console's.

You are one comment away from being banished.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

I agree with everything you said on this one! I have noticed the same hideous problem. Not kool. Also, what's with Amber calling you out? I thought your comments on her blog were very timely.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Spencer Davis said...

8243-
I find your post increadibly insensative. There are children in Africa who don't even have fingers. I'm sure that if they did, they would be happy to use both types of number pads.

8:28 AM  
Blogger 3703 said...

Please refer to my pictures. In an attempt to accommodate all handicaps I decided to use a phone pad large enough to dial with either a fist, elbow or foot.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Goldie said...

aren't numbers confusing....

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home