The Rumbler

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

POTATOE


A rotten potato hidden in a bag, and left in my room, made for the nastiest smell on earth, well, maybe just my quadrant.

Background: Mike and I taught an english class which ended about three weeks ago, and about five weeks ago we played a very exciting game of "hot potato". In this game each player had to say a color in english and toss the potato to another player. For example, the colors were: silver, purple, teak, indian red, maroon, gold, etc. I would say "california violet" and toss it to Lupe who would say "soldier blue" who would toss it to Mike . . . we could play that game for hours.

Science: When we smell, air currents infused with chemicals, in this case it was moldy starch, swirl up the nose, passing over the moist olfactory epithelium on the roof of the nasal cavity and its 12 million odor-detecting cells. The olfactory receptor proteins detect scents and via sensory nerves, the signals are sent to the Olfactory bulb (scientific american, 12).

Result: Two days ago I got back from a trip to LA, upon arrival I went into my room and there was a thick, almost foglike smell; it wreaked. The odor was not something I was used to--in other words, it was completely new to my olfactory bulb.

It was a strange smell, almost like old soggy dog food, but I searched my room and could not find anything at all. I then thought one of my animals urinated, I couldn't find that either. So I opened up a window and gave up the search. That was until my mom came in (she came over to visit) and insisted on cleaning the entire room until we found the source of the smell. I thought of that two days ago, I just didn't want to do it. It is a good thing we did though because it was at that point that I found my teacher-bag with my supplies. Inside of the bag was the potato (please see the above picture).

I now know why all the irish came to America.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay S said...

I know the exact smell you are talking about. I usually leave my bag of potatoes out where I can see them but this last time I put them in a cupboard-one that I rarely ever get into. This last week there was an awful smell. I had forgoten about the bag of potatoes. Its awful. The liquid leaked and so a week later it still smells!! So crappy

9:27 PM  
Blogger 3703 said...

hahaha. Yes, that sounds about right.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was nice of your mom to visit. I always loved it when my mom visited.

Sincerely,

"T"

p.s. Go Orioles!!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Spencer Davis said...

Dr. Rumbler, thanks for the reminder on olfactory bulbs. I'm jelous that you have a mom to clean your room. I thought my female would take on that mantle when I got married, but I soon learned that not only do moms cook better than wives, they also clean better.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Goldie said...

I know that smell, it might be the worst on the planet, it sucks! Did you eat it?

12:06 PM  
Blogger 3703 said...

I fried it, just to make it crispier.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Jay-Dub said...

When I was a kid we made homemade stamps out of potatoes by cutting them into shapes and dipping them in paint. I put the potato "stamps" in my closet to use another day. Due to an incredible stench emanating from my closet weeks later, my sister found and destroyed my stamp collection. So sad.

7:45 AM  
Blogger hairofgold said...

Geez, I wish Truth would come visit me like that. She doesn't love me that much I guess. Jay-Dub, I too had said stamp collection, but Truth was very proficient at waste management and I never got far in collecting mass amounts of potatoes.

8:35 AM  
Blogger 3703 said...

I have never heard of potato stamps, did you not have enough money for real ones?

Maybe some day I can make fake-money with my children.

12:27 PM  
Blogger 3703 said...

I take that back, for some odd reason I thought you made envelope stamps out of potatoes, which seemed crazy to me. But then it struck me that you made a fake rubber stamp out of a potato.

I guess I never made one before.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Judd, I wasn't aware you had such a deprived childhood - no potato stamps! That's really sad. I'm glad your mom is taking care of you now.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home