The Rumbler

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Blantant Is Better


Predator (the original) was on the television last night. In the movie, there is a scene at the beginning where Dutch (A. Swarzenegger) meets up with Dillon (C. Weathers)--they are long time friends and fellow commandos. Instead of hugging, as I would have done, they saunter towards each other and right at that moment of hug or cheek kiss, they, instead, instantly transition into a standing arm wrestle.

What I love about this movie is the camera work. As this scene begins the two walk towards one another, then the film instantly cuts to the arm clasp, as seen above. There is about ten seconds until the next scene. The beauty of this camera work and film direction is that there is no room for interpretation. The audience instantly knows they are both very, very tough men, and that there is no mistaking it. I truly recommend watching this movie one more time.

If you don't want to watch the entire movie just to see that scene, that is ok, just stare at the above picture for ten seconds straight. And here is the true test to see if John McTiernan truly was an Oscar worthy director: focus on those arms and see if anything at all can enter your mind other than the impossible strength of Arnold Swarzenegger.


Also, little known fact, Puerto Vallarta houses a restaurant built onto/around the helicopter used in Predator. Come this October 11-18 I will be dining there with my sweetheart.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing this makes me wonder why Arnold never made a boxing movie. It would have been great, right?

5:16 PM  
Blogger Spencer Davis said...

I also watched part of this movie on TV the other night as well. Its amazing that we shared such an amazing moment together and we didn't even know it.

I think that this should be the official solute for So Say We All.

10:42 PM  
Blogger 3703 said...

hahaha. Excellent choice. I look forward to our next encounter. I hope your kung fu class teaches you how to be strong.

11:06 PM  
Blogger 3703 said...

Gotham_6 unmask yourself or a person will be killed every day until you do.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure if you know this or not but the scene in Predator where they shot the minigun into the forest and cut it all down was filmed on-site in the Amazon rain forest and all of the footage is real. Including the blatant disregard for plant and animal life destroyed by the testosterone driven men. I am disgusted.

12:41 AM  
Blogger 3703 said...

WOw,I can't believe that it was actually real predator green blood. Thanks for that fantastic insider information.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Oh Judd! I didn't know we were on for a dinner date during the cruise! Thanks! And I thought that arm was yours, you big hunk of man you!

9:49 AM  
Blogger 3703 said...

Yes, i'm the one on the left.

I'll meet you in the Jesse Ventura room.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home