The Rumbler

Friday, December 22, 2006

The End of Kanga and Roo


Playworld was the best way to spend Christmas shopping, driving toy cars, shooting fake guns (even though I don't support them), and making wish lists. And spending time with cousins. Those are my memories of Playworld. I also remember asking Grandpa if he would buy me ice cream and he would always say "Oh Balogni, you don't want that" he was wrong I did want it, but I always liked it when he would say "Oh Balogni."

Playworld was a great place. The EZ Bake oven was invented by Lionel Playworld (2006 Toy Hall of Fame induction). Their Logo was a giant Kangaroo. AndToys R' Us ran them out of town.

So how did I, the Rumbler, fancy upon my days at Playworld? Well, good question, there was actually a series of memories which I will now tell you. But I will warn you, unlike a movie, you may be moved to tears.

It all began when I found out that Disneyland no longer sports a Swiss Family Robinson attraction in Frontierland. Yeah, apparently monkey-footed Tarzan moved them out of town. I was sad. So then I was thinking about Tomorrowland, and with Tomorrowland come my fondest memories of Captain EO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFThn8SK47M) where Michael Jackson and Angelica Huston battle it off (it is actually where Gene Roddenbery stole ideas for his film FirstContact and the Borg. Great movie though (captain EO), MJ turns borgs into dancing robots and men from the 80's. But like Swiss Family Robinson, Captain EO was stupidly replaced by "Honey We Shrunk Ourselves." 2 for 2 Disney. It is then that I thought back to being a kid and watching Disneyland commercials where they would always have Toys R' Us ads with the Big Giraffe. The advertising worked because I my one desire was to go to California and play with Geoffrey. Little did I know that the Giraffe's mastiffness would overpower that of the Kangaroo.

Two Grandpa memories that came through after thinking about Playworld:

1) We were walking in the grocery store (Grandpa Loves to Shop: yellow keychain circa 1994), and when my head was turned Grandpa would give the cart a heavy push so that when I looked back it appeared as though the cart moved without touching it. I had no idea how it was happening. How did the cart keep moving in the desired direction and all Grandpa had to do was hold his hands in the air. I was mystified. At this time I was not as experienced with illusions, as I am now, so my mind went to wonder, "could grandpa be a rara avis?" I didn't know, he made carts move without touching them. My lesson was learned as i now know the powers of inertia.

2) His tricks didn't stop with shopping carts. We were driving the Isuzu on our way to the store, and every single time he made a turn the Truck would know which way to go. We would turn left, and it knew, we would go right, and it knew, I was baffled. Now, I may be known for my woolgathering, but this was no daydream. After a series of turns, and each time the arrow flickering true, I finally asked Grandpa how the Truck knew where we were going. I still remember him saying "because it has gone there so many times" and it made sense, the truck had driven there a lot. So that is how I learned about cars. (if neither of these stories make sense then re-read them).

7 Comments:

Blogger Spencer Davis said...

Mr. Rumble, if it wasn't for you, I think that I would have forgotten about Captain EO forever. It was nice to see that it also stared Angelica Houston as the scary witch lady and that it was directed by Francis Ford Copola and the EP was George Lucas. There is some amazing stuff there.

Seeing MJ as a military Captain and trying to picture him on a real diplomatic mission made me think of Confederacy of Dunces and Ignatious' idea to create the Sodomite Political Party. His reasoning is that if all the world leaders were sodomites, that instead of wars and fighting, the sodomites would get together and have costume parties and talk about fashion, which would in turn lead to world peace. Seeing the way that MJ handled that tuff situation and how he came out on top made me realize that Ignatious may not be too far off.

As for your stories, they didn't make much sense, but it was fun to read them and remember Christmas shopping with Grandpa. Wasn' it great that he just let us run wild in there. Also, I seem to remeber a large red metal dome like sphere that was outside the front of Playworld. Does anyone else remember such a stucture?

3:37 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

I had totally forgotten about Playworld. I guess I had just merged Playworld and Toys R Us in my mind. I loved when Grandpa would take us.

As for Disney removing the famed Captain EO, I am just glad that I got to experience it first hand before it was removed. I guess Disney didn't want to stick with a Michael Jackson attraction after MJ said that it was an innocent act of love to share your bed with another child.

12:54 PM  
Blogger cblakes said...

Like Ian, I merged Playworld with Toys R Us. I'm grateful for this post clearing up my memories. I wish playworld was still around.

I loved Captain EO! I wonder what a Star Trek episode would have been like with his crew as a guest cast. I remember our family seeing it, and it maybe being Mike's first 3-D movie. In one part of the movie there's this little fuzzball creature that flies up (seemingly) in front of one's face. Mike, who was like, six or seven, hit whoever was sitting in front of him while he tried to grab the fuzzy alien. What a good movie:)

12:27 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Fun memories Juddy. I totally know what you're talking about with the shopping cart and such. I didn't experience with Grandpa, but I'm sure I would have thought it was equally cool.

I think I am the only one that has no recollection of Captain EO. I am disheartened to hear of the removal of Swiss Family Robinson.

Was playland the store that was in Brickyard? I loved it too.

11:27 AM  
Blogger 3703 said...

Katie, thanks for compehending my stories which, for some people (dark lord's), were too difficult to understand. (maybe next time I'll include more pictures).

Yes, it was the store in brickyard and I can't remember a metal play dome.

Captain EO had his day, that movie was awesome to watch again. I really think we should joint venture with Disney. If we all joined together I know we would make a Kick A Tomorrowland.

Some day.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Jayme said...

Juddy, do you remember what Mike did in Captain EO. At the beginning of the movie a space rock floats out from the screen toward the audience. Through the magic of those purple 3-D glasses, it seemed to mere feet from the viewer's eyes. Mike didn't realize that it was an illusion, and reached out to grab the rock. Problem was he perceived the rock to be the same distance from him as the actual distance of an old lady's head. When he reached for the rock, he puncked the head of a lady sitting in front of him.

As family stories go, it ranks with belly button bubble gum, the albino cricket, and the pink panther's tail.

7:40 PM  
Blogger 3703 said...

Mike always stumbled with 3 Dimensions. That is a great story. I don't remember the Pink Panther's Tail though, would you be willing to post it as a guest entry?

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home