The Rumbler

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Delicious isn't free, but it does come with two sides

PHIL'S BBQ - Voted San Diego's Best, and by me

Question: How do you know when your food is really, really good?
Answer: When your KCBS-sanctioned ribs require a roll of paper towels, a handful of toothpicks and a rib's worth of meat stuck in your teeth (and of course if the booth next to you is full of female tuckers).

So I say that Phil's Half Rib Dinner for $12.95 is really, really good.

Fact: Phil's BBQ uses about ONE TON of BBQ sauce a week.
Fact: Phil's BBQ sells a whole lotta pork.

Judd's Experience:
On my first encounter I waited outside in the long line,ordered my half slab and agreed to fries as my two sides (A little heads up, the ribs came out on top of the fires, if you like them soggy then you are in luck if not, as I do not, then ask for your sides in separate containers). The bright side to the ribs on top of the fries is that they are drenched in BBQ sauce (which will have to replace the beloved fry sauce for the time being).

Based on APPEARANCE, TASTE, and TENDERNESS, Phil's BBQ got four thumbs up. Both APPEARANCE and TENDERNESS get a 'thumb' a piece because the ribs were a dark, rich mahogany and it took limited tussle to get that wonderful meat off the bones.

As for TASTE, the score is doubled (because eating is twice as good as looking). Phil's second generation BBQ sauce creates a sweet blend of hot and tangy which complements the smokiness of the meat. (I actually have no idea what is in the sauce or how to describe it, but I thought hot, tangy, and sweet might work as proper adjectives). Go to Phil's, get their ribs.

When you all come to visit I will take you there, cause $12.95 can buy happiness.

Special thanks to:
PHIL'S BBQ, for letting me eat there.
4030 Goldfinch Street
San Diego, CA

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Judd & Spencer's would make a great restaurant name. Maybe it could be your second venture--a more upscale steak house perhaps.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Support of the Four Star Rating:

My only addition to Juddy's comments would be that the half-rack of ribs is not enough. Go for the full rack. You will thank me for doing so.

Also Phil's has classic board games to entertain you while you wait for your food. Good for a date, horrible if you are with Judd who chooses instead to talk on his phone rather than play Trivial Pursuit with his roommate. Judd's cell phone etiquette could use some work.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

It seems a very fine BBQ joint indeed. How would you compare it to Q4U in West Valley, Utah? My concerns: (1) the environment is not ghetto enough (I like to be nervous as I am entering my BBQ joints) and (2) TJ's suggestion that a half rack is not enough (at Pat's or Q4U, the ribs are so big and meaty that I can only eat 3 or 4 ribs).

Still, you can't loose when you are eating BBQ; I will have to try it next time I am in San Diego.

2:08 PM  
Blogger 3703 said...

Ian, the rib sauce was much better at Phil's than that of Q4U. I also preferred the ribs at Phil's because they were BBQed better than Q4U. But you were right in that Q4U has bigger ribs. I would still get a half rack because they gave a butt load of fries to go witht the ribs, but I would also get a full rack so that I could take some ribs home with me. Honestly, the ribs were so good I wanted to take the bones home and make a necklace.

Now the next thing to do is to go and eat some Pat's in the SLC. I am thinking for lunch on Friday or Saturday over Thanksgiving break.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

That would be awesome. What better way to follow up a hearty Thanksgiving feast (get ready for my Dr. Pepper glaze for the ham!) than with a trip to Pats. And if we go on a weekend, they usually have live blues music.

And I think you are right that the lack of fries at Pat's/Q4U is a major problem.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home